4 Locks with a total lift of 17.8m (58.4ft) Three inline locks and one
detatched seperated by a turning basin. The site also consist of an arch dam
350 feet in length and 62 feet high built of sandstone blocks 6' by 3' by 2'
placed on end. Over 200 men, including 40 masons, worked on the dam and
locks. When built in 1830 it was the highest arch dam in North
America. A small power generator has also been added to the
dam. The Hotel Kenney is one of the oldest hotels in the area built in 1888.
Defensible lockmasters house and blacksmith shop are open with interpretive
Visible in this pan is the Turning Basin at the top, with Lock 39 behind it. Water has just been released to lower a ship down to the turning basin. Lock 39 connects to Sand Lake. locks 40 is directly in front and locks 41, & 42, are below. and Whitefish Lake at the bottom. The dam holds back Sand Lake from its original channel and is behind the trees on the other side of the locks.
2004/06/20 At 4:00 PM EST
Visible in this pan is the Turning Basin at the top, locks 40, 41, & 42, and Whitefish Lake at the bottom. Lock 39 is up around the corner joining the Turning Basin to Sand Lake. The dam holds back Sand Lake from its original channel and is behind the trees on the other side of the locks. The lock masters are at work allowing a ship to make its way up stream.
2004/06/20 At 4:30 PM EST
Visible in this pan is lock 42. It is being filled up to allow a ship to travel down stream. Above this lock is lock 41 and then 40. Across the walking bridge is the Hotel Kenney beside Whitefish Lake.
2004/06/20 At 5:00 PM EST
Page last modified April 18, 2006