2 Locks with a total lift of 5.5m (18ft). A 488m (1600ft) channel
was excavated with 2 locks and a large basin to give room for vessels to
pass each other. In 1842 a defensible stone lockmaster's house was built
next to the lock.
The ship entering the lock is heading North from Kinston. The original
flow of the Cataraqui River and a small dam is behind the lockmaster's house.
The lockmasters are closing up the locks.
2004/06/20 At 12:30 PM EST
Page last modified April 18, 2006